Recently, Xiaobian heard that when a 3-and-a-half-year-old boy was playing alone, he accidentally put two button batteries into his nostrils! It’s dangerous! Fortunately, the family found out and sent for medical treatment in time, which did not lead to serious consequences? What’s the matter? Let’s take a look.

3-year-old boy accidentally put button battery into his nostril and died

At about 8:30 p.m. on the 13th, Ms. Wang, who lives in Hengyuan community along Jinsong Road, was washing dishes in the kitchen, and her 3-year-old son was playing alone in the living room. All of a sudden, Ms. Wang heard her son crying “nose hurts.”. Ms. Wang and her husband hurried to the living room to inquire about their son. The son pointed to a button battery on the floor and said it fell into his nostril. Ms. Wang and her husband were frightened. They asked her son to look up and check the condition in her nostrils, but they could not see the battery at all. The family rushed to Qilu hospital with their son in their arms.

The otolaryngologist on duty that night checked with the help of a professional nasal endoscope and found that the battery had fallen into the depth of the boy’s nasal cavity. It must be taken out as soon as possible. Otherwise, once the battery leaks, the highly corrosive battery fluid will burn the boy’s nasal mucosa. With the help of nasal endoscope, doctors try to slowly remove button battery by using professional small equipment. After about half an hour of emergency treatment, the button battery was finally removed from the boy’s nose.

As for the source of button batteries, Ms. Wang said that a few days ago, her family just bought a new toy piano for her child. Who ever thought that the child had taken the toy piano apart in a mischievous way? There were several brand-new button batteries in it, and her son stuffed one of them into his nostrils. “It may be that the child wants to pull out the battery after putting it into his nostril, but the more he pulls the battery, the more it slides to the depth of his nostril. When he cries hard, the battery is no longer visible.” Said Ms. Wang.

The doctor said that the body fluid has the function of corrosion and rejection. If the battery has been in the boy’s body for too long, the battery shell will dissolve and the battery will leak. The highly corrosive battery fluid will burn the boy’s nasal mucosa, with unimaginable consequences. Doctors remind that if the nose foreign body is not taken out in time, it will cause rhinitis and perforation of nasal septum. In particular, if the battery and other foreign bodies are not handled properly, the light ones will bleed in the nasal cavity, the heavy ones will push the foreign bodies to the deep, fall into the lower respiratory tract or gastrointestinal tract, and burn the respiratory tract and digestive tract, which may seriously endanger life.

Xiaobian reminds parents that if the child is found to have one or both sides of the nose, runny nose, bleeding, or headache symptoms, they must take the child to the hospital for examination and treatment as soon as possible. We should also accompany our children more and don’t let them play with dangerous goods. Baibai safety net’s knowledge about children’s home electric shock prevention is still being updated. Please lock in our relevant columns!